Valentine's Day is one of my all time favorite holidays! I love anything having to do with Love and Romance so this day is perfectly for me! Erik and I enjoy going out for fancy dinners together, and I always look forward to the roses, sentimental gifts and cards, heart shaped waffles for breakfast, etc. I also love involving the kids and doing special things with them to evoke love and harmony in our family. :)
This year I decided to do a Valentine Countdown as a family for 14 days before Valentine's Day. We introduced it at Family Night last night and the kids were so excited. We started by decorating heart shaped boxes with a slit in the top (at Michael's) to put by our bedroom doors. Each night Erik and I will write a note and put it in the kids box for them to read in the am. (I printed off the notes at blondedesign.) We did this last year as well and the kids loved it! They also have access to the notes and can write notes for each other's boxes any time during the day. We talked a lot about having the spirit of love in our home and ways we show love in our family to each other. We talked about encouraging each other and giving compliments and Berklie said about 10 times after that "daddy you are so handsome," or "daddy I sure love your tie," or "you are so cute mommy," etc. It was sure cute!
So our Valentine countdown will go as follows: (hopefully...)
Feb. 1 I made construction paper hearts and wrote little poems on them for the kids for lunch. I sent Parker's in his lunchbox. They read- "On the first day of Valentines, Parker/Addie/or Berklie I hope you know. Just how special I think you are, and that I love you so! Love, Mommy"
Feb. 2 We will read Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch one of my favorite children's books, and The Day it Rained Hearts
Feb. 3 Make heart shaped chocolate sucker molds with red, pink and white chocolate
Feb. 4 String Valentine Candy Necklaces and Play Valentine Bingo with the left over candy
Feb. 5 Go to the temple and sit on the grounds with the kids. Share with them our love story
Feb. 6 Make Valentines to send to grandparents/Valentine crafts
Feb. 7 Make V Day sugar cookies for family night
Feb. 8 Make school Valentines (I'm still looking for a new fun idea for this year)
Feb. 9 Read the book Hug Time and eat dinner by candlelight
Feb. 10 Make a coupon book for the kids from mom and dad, put in heart box with some candy
Feb. 11 Leave candy hugs and kisses around the house, kids go on a hunt to find them
Feb. 12 Heart Shaped waffles, strawberries, and whipped cream
Feb. 13 Heart attack our neighbors front doors
Feb. 14 Our Traditional cheese and chocolate family fondue night
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments
Post a Comment